Friday, April 4, 2014

Fat Blasting Baked Egg Casserole

Ahh Friday! So glad you are back!! Here's another recipe for the books.

They say breakfast is the MOST important meal of that day, and for whatever reason it is the hardest for people to eat.  I know for me, making something the night before helps me out A LOT! Especially when I want it to be on the healthier side. I found this recipe on Pinterest the other day (I can't seem to find the link where I found it, sorry), and thought it would be the perfect morning casserole!
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water (I recommend the broth for a little more flavor)
  • 6 oz (2 cups) sliced Crimini Mushrooms (really any kind will work)
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash's, but you could also use Simply Organic)
  • 2 teaspoons fresh jalapenos (optional)
  • 2 1/2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped roughly (oops, I forgot to chop mine, but it still worked)
  • 4 oz turkey bacon, cooked & chopped
  • Sea Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • 9 egg whites
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Line 7 x 11inch baking dish with parchment paper.
  • Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of broth or water, mushrooms, red peppers, seasoning & jalapenos.
  • Cook stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
  • Add spinach, cook down until bright green, about 1 minute.
  • Remove pan from heat.
  • Stir in the turkey bacon & season with sea salt and pepper.
  • Spread the spinach mixture evenly on bottom of the baking dish.
  • Whisk egg white, then pour over the spinach mixture. Scatter green onions on top.
  • Bake until egg whites are set, 25 minutes.
  • The casserole should be moist in the middle, not liquidy.
  • Let casserole sit for 5 minutes & serve

I really did enjoy this dish for the AM! I even ate a half portion for some snacks! DELISH!
One of these days I will get it so there are printable versions of my recipes. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment