Friday, November 15, 2013

Taste of Home

Happy Friday Everyone!

Wednesday night I went to the Taste of Home Cooking show in Marshalltown. It was only $13.00 for a ticket, so pretty inexpensive. When you got to the show you received a goody bag, nothing big, just had some coupons to local shops, a roll of wrapping paper, measuring spoon, Hazelnut Jiff (similar to Nutella), and other little things.


During the show they made 10 different recipes from either sponsors and their own test kitchen. I just want to share one of the recipes that seemed easy and delicious.

I've been doing my best lately to stay away from processed foods, and eat healthy. This recipe fits the healthy category.

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pocket
from: Taste of Home Test Kitchen

Start to Finish: 30 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings

4 cups fresh baby spinach
2 tsp. plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
2/3 cup plus 1/4 seasoned bread crumbs, divided (he recommend a little less than recipe calls for)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, sauté spinach in 2 tsp. oil until spinach is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in the spreadable cheese, 2/3 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cut pocket in the thickets part of each chicken breast; fill with spinach mixture. Secure with toothpicks.

Place egg in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the pepper and remaining bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 175 degrees. Discard toothpicks before serving.

There is not much I would change to this recipe, to make it a little bit healthier. The one thing I would do it leave out the garlic-herb spreadable cheese. I would probably add more flavoring to the mixture with adding vegetables (green peppers, onions, etc.) and other herbs.

I wish I had a picture of this recipe, but I don't. I apologies for that. Give it a try though, and you will not be disappointed.

The Taste of Home goes on tours around the United States, so if they are ever in your area, I recommend going. During the show they give away door prizes from National and Local Sponsors. At the end of the show, they draw names for the finished recipes, and a new dish.

Also, one last thing...check out Dorot Herbs. This is something they featured at the show as well. They are fresh herbs packaged, that you can keep in the freezer up to 24 months. Pretty genius idea.

http://mydorot.com
picture from mydorot.com
  
Thanks everyone for following my blog! Don't forget to follow me on the right hand side of the page! I would greatly appreciate it!
 
Have a fabulous weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment