Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup

When it is in the negative temps, what else sounds better than some warm soup! I really enjoy trying new healthy recipe's while my husband is away, and of course EASY recipes. This one I found on Pintrest from here. I adapted it into a crock pot recipe.
 
Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup
I put the chicken in raw on the bottom of the crock pot (of course, if you wish, you can cook it before it enters the crock pot).
Top the chicken with all the vegetables; onions, zucchini, carrots and tomatoes.
I then added the broths (I used half chicken broth and half vegetable broth) and spices.
It turned out DELICIOUS!
 
The chicken cooked perfectly, it was so easy to shred,
For lunch I added in brown rice with it, because I wanted to have a healthy grain with my meal.  
For dinner, I did not add anything to it.

Ingredients:
  • 2 table spoons extra virgin olive oil (I did not use this)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced ( I probably used 6, garlic is good for you)
  • 2 1/2 cups quartered and sliced zucchini
  • 1 (28 ounce) can dices tomatoes
  • 4 cups chicken stock (I used 2 cups chicken and 2 cups vegetable, and you could do 4 cups vegetable if you wanted)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used 2 hormone free chicken breasts)
  • Sea Salt to taste (I also added pepper)
Instructions:
  • Add all ingredients into a crock pot
  • cook on high for 4 hours (after those 4 hours, I kept mine on warm for another 4 hours to get all the flavors mixed together)
  • Then enjoy!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment