Friday, March 28, 2014

Garlic Chicken and Vegetables over Quinoa

Hello all! Happy Friday! I am going to be cheering on my Iowa State Cyclones tonight!!         #cyclONEnation.

Another recipe just for you...
I have found another super tasty and easy recipe! I absolutely love my Fast Metabolism Cookbook. It keeps me on track. I get sick of eating the same foods, so I like that I can look at the cookbook, and be able to find a recipe with the ingredients I have in my fridge (for the most part). This recipe is for Phase 1.
Ingredients:

Quinoa
  • 2 cups quinoa
  • 2 cups organic vegetable broth
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup sliced onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions), white and green parts
Chicken
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
  • 2 cups sliced bell peppers
  • 2 cups sliced zucchini
  • 2 cups sliced yellow squash
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup coconut aminos
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons diced red onion
(Missing from the picture: Zuccini, Yellow Squash and Coconut Aminos)
Instructions:
  • In a medium pot, combine the quinoa, vegetable and chicken broths, onion, and green onion. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and chicken and cook, stirring continuously, until the chicken is browned. Add the bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, coconut aminos, red pepper flakes, and red onion. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
  • Serve 1/2 cup of the quinoa topped with 1 cup of the chicken and vegetables. 
  • Serves 8
(Quinoa before boiling)



1 comment :

  1. The portion size says 1/2 cup quinoa. The portion amount in the book for quinoa during phase 1 is 1 cup. Is this a mistake? I've had this question to do with several of the recipes. Thanks in advance for answering.

    ReplyDelete